Thursday, April 17, 2014

Shaving Cream Easter Eggs

Anti-holiday as I am, I was originally not planning to do anything for Easter. However, I kept seeing posts about dyeing Easter Eggs with shaving cream in my Facebook feed, so I finally clicked on one and thought, "Oh, this is just the kind of mess Ryan and Jack like to make." The boys have always dyed Easter eggs the traditional way with Grandma and Grandpa Fleming, but they left today for a three week tour of the Netherlands - so if it was to be, it was up to me. 
Sam worked from home this morning as he had to catch an afternoon flight to Atlanta, so he got to participate in the mess-making too.
I bought cheap shaving cream from Wal-mart, which was a mistake - it was so stinky. My kitchen still smells like it hours later.
 This is what they looked like after we rolled them in shaving cream swirled with food coloring:
After we were finished with the eggs, Ryan wanted to play with the rest of the shaving cream. Given the smell, Sam was not planning to use it, so we let him go at it.
 He wanted to add more food coloring, too, to make the ocean.
We discovered using a whisk was a good way to get a nice even color.
Here's the finished product - not as vivid as the blogs would suggest, but the boys are pretty happy with them.

No comments: