Thursday, November 22, 2012

Giving Thanks

As you know, I love to throw a good party, though the winter holidays are my least favorite to celebrate.  Sam's family friends rotate who hosts Thanksgiving every year, and it was high time we opened our home, so I told Nancy I would happily host if 1) she cooked the turkey and 2) I got to make everything else (potlucks are so NOT my style).
 
She agreed, so the flurry of Pinterest-ing and Evite-ing began. Our dear friend Jillian offered to make quite a few side dishes (despite being pregnant with twins!) and Sarah rocked the appetizers.
 
When the day finally rolled around, Jack was sick with a tummy bug and Ryan refused to nap, so I feared all was lost.  I sampled one of the Pomegranate Prosecco welcome cocktails and stopped worrying....
Pinterest was an endless (and overwhelming) source of table decor ideas:
We gathered all the natural materials from our neighborhood open spaces.
These specimen jars were my favorite - dried yucca flowers add such an interesting architectural element (plus they just look funky).
Pinecones and jingle bells to welcome everyone.
We fit 14 adults and three small children in our dining room and living room, thanks to borrowed card tables and linens.
Sam dutifully followed my vague directions to just "drill a hole in it!" to make these elegantly rustic votive holders.
The dessert table and Thankful Tree - everyone wrote their "thanks" on a little tag and hung them up.
Pre-set Roasted Squash and Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Pomegranate Seeds.
The buffet set up in the kitchen.
Sam performing the duties of the "man of the house" (which Bill gladly ceded to him!).
Turkey, gravy, and all the accompaniments (the Goat Cheese Mashed Sweet Potatoes were DIVINE but I think I might just buy King's Hawaiian rolls from now on and give up making them from scratch!).
Sorry, I didn't actually take any pictures of the people at Thanksgiving as I was just a bit too gleeful at successfully pulling off a feast (which I shouldn't have to host again for another 5 years or so).

No comments: