Friday, July 2, 2010

Gardening at Night

I finally had a few minutes to wander out into the garden last night while Sam was putting Ryan to bed, and look what I saw! It finally occurred to us (after three years of no strawberries) to put bird netting over the fruit so that WE could actually enjoy it, not them.

We also have blooms on our potatoes, which means the little tubers are plumping up under the surface of the dirt.

I need to thin out the carrots so they have space to spread and grow fat.


A couple of green tomatoes have already made their appearance...


...and the rest of the tomato plants (8 in total) have flowers.

The zucchini and summer squash are starting to bloom - if I'm not watchful, I'll have squash the size of Ryan before too long (they taste much better when they're small).


Most of the plants seem to be ignored by the bugs, except for this one sad zucchini. Hey, I'll sacrifice one for the collective (and I planted six, which no one in their right mind should do).


No comments: