Saturday, October 31, 2009

First Halloween!

Sam and I are not generally big fans of Halloween, but when you have a kiddo, suddenly it's easy to get excited about the costumes and candy and such. It all started when my mom sent Ryan a musical card:

It plays "Purple People Eater", which is a song I used to LOVE when I was little (we had it on a little 45, how old am I?!). Ryan likes to open the card just long enough to hear the first line, then close it again. Then he opens it, listens to the first line, then closes it again. And on and on and on. He's actually only heard the "one-eyed, one-horned flyin' purple people eater" line a couple of times!

I decided to dress Ryan as a cowboy for Halloween, mainly because it was easy. I found the boots at Wal-mart, the shirt at Children's Place. I already had the bandanna, but where to get a pint-sized cowboy hat? Why, Build-A-Bear Workshop, of course! I never did find an enormous belt buckle... but he did have a pony!

Belmar, the local outdoor shopping area, hosted a Trick or Treat Street this afternoon. You go around to all the stores and get candy, coupons, balloons, etc. (oh, yes, we got a balloon!).
We met up with that wildcat MacKenzie...

and tried on part of her costume...


but we like our hat better...


Ooh, sepia... like those Olde Tyme Photos at Silver Dollar City...


David and his parents joined in the festivities, too...

One of the stops was a restaurant called - you'll never guess - Elephant Bar. Go figure, they have a giant elephant in the lobby.

We bellied up to the bar at Las Margaritas to say hi to a friend of MacKenzie's daddy...

And that was how we celebrated Halloween 2009...

We actually intended to take Ryan around our cul-de-sac this evening to show him off/meet the neighbors, but he hasn't been feeling well the last couple of days (ear infection and sniffles) so we stayed in and passed out candy.

No comments: